I woke up this morning at 5:00, and I’m in one of those awake-but-damn-I-wish-I-wasn’t situations, so I’ve decided to share the random thoughts that have plagued me for the past 2.5 hours.
1. How the heck does my little neighborhood (the alley between four houses, two apartment buildings and one doctor’s office) need THREE garbage pickups? THREE, I tell you. One on Monday, to pick up the dumpster right outside my bedroom window, One on Thursday, to pick up the dumpster right outside my bedroom window (it’s a treat, really, to hear clattering and beeping at 6:30am TWICE A WEEK), and now apparently on Friday morning as well. What is the purpose? Is there really that much need for garbage removal? Or are they doing it just to fuck with me?
2. In getting ready for some friends to visit this weekend I dusted the corner of our “dining room” that is the library. I haven’t dusted in a while … let us not discuss how long, because my mother reads this blog and I already said fuck and I don’t want to make her even more disappointed in me. Anyway! so yes, I dusted and there was a definite reddish/pinkish tinge to the dust in my house. Why? Do I have designer dust and don’t know it?
3. I have to send the Dada camera away. It’s too painful to keep looking at my pictures and seeing those foul horizontal lines in what would otherwise be a great shot. And I can’t keep taking pictures with the flash, that’s just tacky. I found a store (in freaking Bensenville) that will fix the camera, or at least give me an estimate on the damages. I’ve been putting it off because I don’t want to give up my camera (craptacular though it may be), as it’s my way of communicating with the internets (and you all are so nice). But our friends down the hall have two digital cameras and have offered the loan of one, so this might work out.
4. While I’m on the subject of bitching about things, can I just say how much I hate the new Interweave Knits layout? I want to see the pictures and look at the pattern AT THE SAME TIME. I don’t want to go hunting for the pattern in the back, then flip back to the nice big picture in the front to get a better look. There’s a reason why I (currently) subscribe to IK and not to Vogue Knitting, and the layout is a huge part of it. Also, there is nothing in the Summer issue that I like. Nothing. IK usually sits around on my coffee table for at least a month while I peruse its pages, but not this issue. It went right into my bookshelf where it will live with the shame of its existance.
5. My neighbors across the alley have ducks. These ducks (one white, one a drake mallard) waddle around the yard and chase each other, the kids, the dog. Sometimes they swim in the little kiddie pool in the yard (oh good god I want a backyard!). This is all very cute and adorable and charming — when it’s not the very early morning while you’re trying to stay asleep.
Alright, I have exceeded my grump quota for the day. Probably for the whole week. I’m off to work and then to the busy weekend, and shall return on Monday with stories and tales of my adventures. With any luck they’ll be full of derring-do.