Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August 1st, 2007

Twofer

Today is special. Today, I have things to show you.

[bounces up and down with the happiness]

I have finished objects to show you.


I finished the headband!

Curly Tail

In Action

Pattern: Molly’s Headband (.pdf) by Pam Allen, from Interweave Knits Summer 2006.
Yarn: South West Trading Company Twize (100% bamboo, 110m to 100g) in colorway Twing. A stash yarn, I’m proud to say. And I used about half of it.
Needles: 4.0mm (US 6) aluminum 24″ circular. With a blunt tip.
Time Spent: I don’t know. A lot? I started this maybe in February…? And I finished it this past Monday (July 30) morning at 7:30am. I woke up at 5:45, couldn’t get back to sleep and decided that knitting was better than worrying about it, and I just finished it. Had ends woven in, soaked and blocking by the time I had to get ready for work.
What I Learned This was my first project with any amount of lace in it, and I learned several methods of throwing my knitting across the room in a fit of pique, as well as many creative ways of swearing at it. (It’s not the pattern; the pattern is very well written, the chart is perfectly clear. It was operator error that caused all the problems.) I did learn that lace — even small, simple, 4-row lace — must be done at home without distractions. I also learned that k3tog really doesn’t work on blunt needles, but that a right-leaning double decrease exists out there that is not quite such a bastard. It is this: k2tog, sl resulting st back to L needle, sl second-in-line st over the new st. I found it in an archived newsletter by Sally Melville (scroll down a bit). I learned that lace, while frustrating when one doesn’t pay proper attention, is beautiful, rewarding, and not really that hard at all.
Thoughts: Like I said, the pattern is great and I recommend it to anyone wanting to try lace on a bigger scale, or wanting a small project for summer. The Twize is beautiful — shiny, colorful, drapey. It does split easily, and there are several points along my headband that have a stray ply sticking up somewhere. Knitting it on more pointy needles would probably help (KnitPicks Options, Addi lace), but I’m okay with the way it is. I also happened to make the headband exactly the right length (entirely by accident) — when I wear it tied around my head the pointy ends are actually touching. If I made this again I would make it a smidge shorter, but it’s perfect as it is.

And there’s also this…

Warshrag

another angle

Pattern: Ballband Dishcloth from Mason-Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Lily Sugar’n Cream (100% cotton) in white and pink/orange/yellow multi
Needles: 4.5mm (US 7) aluminum straights
Time Spent: I really need to be aware of this. I know I started it this month, but don’t have the date written down. A few weeks.
What I Learned: Slip-stitch patterns are way fun. Making your own washcloths is way fun. Pink, orange and yellow are clearly my favorite colors. Small cotton squares are ideal in the summer.
Thoughts: Love!

I got motivated to finish these projects after a conversation with Femiknitter which came about after my lament about my overwhelming WIPs. We decided to allow ourselves more money at Stitches if we reached certain knitting goals. These two are the beginning. I have one more that I have to tackle by August 10th, and I’ll write more about it later. This post is huge. If you made it this far, you’re a champ.

Read Full Post »